Indian car buyers are the most difficult customers to understand. Everyone have different purchasing patterns. Some buy cars as they have money to spend, some buy them coz there is a necessity and many buy them for elevating their stature in the society. But still for many Indians car is still a status elevating element rather than a necessity driven purchase.
Here we cracked down major parameters which the car buyer consider while purchasing car. These parameters might not be applicable to all the billion Indians out there but stands for majority of them.
1. Exterior Styling : There is a proverb saying “First Impression is the Best Impression” and that first impression for car comes with its styling. Exterior design of a car plays a paramount role in its success.
Well designed car brings out most of the success needed for any car manufacturer. Not attractive cars need so much value for money quotient to gain buyers. These days many companies are putting lot of efforts to bring out that design appeal for their cars.
2. Fuel Efficiency : Whether a person travels lot or not, he definitely have his thoughts about the mileage offered by the car. Even a person buying Mercedes vehicle will ask the dealer one thing while stepping out of the showroom “Yeh Kitna deti hi??” which he means how much mileage does this offer?. So mileage is one of the important parameter while purchasing the car in India.
These days car makers are raising their bars in terms of Fuel efficiency. Maruti especially is the ruler in Auto Industry when it comes to Fuel Efficiency. Recently launched Baleno offers 27.39kmpl for diesel while Ciaz SHVS offers 28.09kmpl and we can expect the figure to rise above 30kmpl within few years. Fuel efficiency not only drives the car more on roads it also drives more cars from showrooms to homes of customer.
3. Price – We Indians earn our money through hard ways, so we don’t spend easily on things as easy as people in the western countries do. we need a good value for every penny we spend, same case applies to even cars where the customer want huge value for money. This is the reason why makers like Maruti has still 50% of market share in the country.
Price is one of the major parameter while buying the car, customers primarily fix price and then go into the market for buying the car. India is a very price conscious market for sure and it continues to be in the near future as well.
4. Brand Reputation – These days brand is what one seeks for, we all know how the brand perception has embedded into our lives. People transformed from buying cheap Chinese mobiles to the era of i-phones. Same case applies to all consumer durables especially cars. Here not only the brand people are fond of, we care for the Trust the brand provides, the quality of the product the name assures and the long term reliability we can expect from that brand.
Even the price doesn’t matter if the product is attached with a huge brand image. Honda and VW are the brands which the budget customers are fond of while Audi, BMW and Mercedes are the ones likely to favour the wealthier ones.
5. Interior space – Interior roominess is one of the major requirement for any car buyer. He must be able to relax freely inside the car where he spends majority of his time while travelling. These days cars are coming with huge features and healthy space inside them. Customers can now feel their space inside their cars
This is the area where we can expect huge evolutions coming in the future. car makers are coming with several new concepts in which they are showcasing luxurious to most futuristic ones.
Safety and Quality are the other parameters considered by Indian buyers these days but they could not make into Top 5 list. So guys what are the major parameters you consider while buying the car, drop your comments below to join the discussion.